If you’re considering solar for your home or business, you probably have some questions about how it all works. Read below for a step-by-step explanation of the Kasselman Solar Installation Process!
Before the installation process shown on our chart begins, you will have an initial consultation with one of our PV Design Engineers to go over preliminary designs for your project and discuss the details such as energy production, cost, time frame, and any other pertinent details relevant to your project. Once this consultation is complete, the engineer will draft up a contract to be signed by the customer. When the customer signs off on the contract, the Solar Installation Process begins officially!
1. When the contract has been drawn up and executed, the project will then be submitted to our Project Management department.
Note: every solar project (residential and commercial) is assigned a Project Manager who is a member of our office staff. Project Managers are responsible for overseeing every aspect of the project and act as a point-of-contact for any questions, comments, concerns, or support the customer may need.
The Project Manager schedules a site assessment of the property, where a site assessor measures the roof and the electrical setup of the property.
2. This information gathered at the site assessment is brought to one of our PV Design Engineers who will create a design for the project. Our engineering team creates the layout of the project through a site plan, which ensures the house can even hold solar panels. Electrical is also reviewed to ensure the compatibility of a solar panel system with the property’s electrical infrastructure.
Not sure if solar will work for your roof? No problem! Read more about best roofs for solar.
3. Once the engineering team completes the design, the site plans are brought to the customer for their final approval. Any scope-of-work changes during this stage. The customer will sign off on the design to move forward with the project.
4. When the design has been given final approval by the customer, Project Management works with the customer on financing the project and applying for applicable financial incentives.
5. After receiving customer approval, we can issue a project permit when our permit team applies for one through the township’s municipality. 4-6 weeks is the average wait time for a permit, but it could be more or less depending on the municipality. Our interconnection coordinator submits the contract and other appropriate documents to the utility and NYSERDA.
6. Once the permit is secured, the Project Manager can schedule an installation. Installation takes 1-2 days to complete. Upon completion of installation, we schedule an electrical inspection to ensure the solar panel system and the electrical infrastructure of the property are working together and not “clashing.” Finally, we can submit to close out the permit and submit the final project documents to the utility and NYSERDA. Then, we wait up to 15 business days for the utility to put the net meter on the house. Net metering is how your utility account gets credited. Read more about it here.
7. We remotely activate your system for you after installation is complete, so you can start saving money as quickly as possible. Our team will also show you how to monitor your system on the Enphase or SolarEdge mobile apps, so you can check your solar production anytime you want.
8. The best for last! Now that everything is complete, you can start saving money with your solar panels. Plus, we offer a $500 incentive for every referral who installs with us. So, if you have any friends or family interested in solar, send them our way and you can earn money, too!
When the project is complete, you can rest assured that our team will be easily accessible for any service or support required. With our 25-year warranty, we see our projects as partnerships and relationships with customers, not simple transactions. Our service and support team works daily with customers to ensure the best service possible. We hope this helped answer your questions about the solar installation process with Kasselman Solar!